EXEMPTAX provides a proprietary validation engine covering most tax exemption forms. If you utilize our CertDash platform to receive your tax certificates from your customers electronically, most certificates you receive are guaranteed to be fully completed and signed. As additional safeguard and for those certificates, which are being imported manually, our engine decides if a particular exemption certificate is valid or rejected based on your validation rules.
To get a better understanding of CertDash and how your purchasers will be guided through completion of most certificates, you can check out a quick self-guided demo here: CertDash Demo.
Please keep in mind that access to certificate processing might be restricted for some user roles; please contact your EXEMPTAX account owner to check if you have sufficient access rights to perform this function.
The below documentation outlines the process and user experience.
1. Your customer will receive a customizable email, which entails your name, logo, overall look and feel. By pressing on the link, your customer will be redirected to CertDash.
2. Your customer now has the option to process any outstanding requests available by pressing on the "Submit Document" link in the CertDash dashboard.
3. To start the process, your customer simply selects a tax exemption reason and hits the "Next" button.
TIP: You can fully customize the tax exemption reason function to either show a particular reason, to restrict a selection, or to leave the reason blank altogether so that your customer has to decide, which reason to select. Please get in touch with us if you have questions on how to customize the tax exemption reason selection criteria.
4. During step 2 of the process, your customer will be guided through an intuitive workflow. Dependent on your master records, customer data are usually prepopulated in this step. If so, then your customer simply confirms accuracy and hits the "Next" button.
5. The most important step during this process is to accurately provide all necessary data for completion of the tax form. CertDash guides your customer through all questions and dynamically updates the workflow based on individual requirements.
6. As last step, your customer simply signs the form whenever necessary and hits the "Review PDF" button for a final check.
7. CertDash then automatically renders all provided data and generates a fully completed tax form ready for submission by pressing the "Submit Document" button.
8. Once successfully submitted, you will receive your customers form instantly in your EXEMPTAX account, ready for validation. First go to the "Queues" (1) menu. You can then select any pending certificate by pressing the "Cert ID" (2) button.
9. For all automatically uploaded certificates using CertDash, you will be directed immediately to step "Validation" (1).
If your customer submitted a form provided by a state, then all data in the certificate (2) will be automatically inserted into EXEMPTAX. Press the "Continue" (3) button to proceed.
10. If a particular form requires further checks, then you will be prompted to complete the step "Authentication" (1).
Simply follow the instruction:
- Press the link to the state website (2)
- Authenticate the data on the form against the state website provided portal (3)
- Upload a snippet of the valid match as proof of authentication (4) for future audits.
Once done, press on "Authentication" (5) to finalize the validation process.
NOTE: Authentication processes are optional, and you can choose whether to utilize this service by activating or deactivating authentication rules.
11. Once done, your validation rules will determine if your certificate has been successfully processed.